Re: Minmax indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: Minmax indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Claudio Freire wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> > CREATE INDEX foo ON t USING crange (cols)   -- misspelling of "cringe"?
>> > CREATE INDEX foo ON t USING comprange (cols)
>> > CREATE INDEX foo ON t USING compressedrng (cols)   -- ugh
>> > -- or use an identifier with whitespace:
>> > CREATE INDEX foo ON t USING "compressed range" (cols)
>>
>> The word you'd use there is not necessarily the one you use on the
>> framework, since the framework applies to many such techniques, but
>> the index type there is one specific one.
>>
>> The create command can still use minmax, or rangemap if you prefer
>> that, while the framework's code uses summary or summarizing.
>
> I think you're confusing the AM name with the opclass name.  The name
> you specify in that part of the command is the access method name.  You
> can specify the opclass together with each column, like so:
>
> CREATE INDEX foo ON t USING blockfilter
>         (order_date date_minmax_ops, geometry gis_bbox_ops);

Oh, uh... no, I'm not confusing them, but now I just realized how one
would implement other classes of block filtering indexes, and yeah...
you do it through the opclasses.

I'm sticking to bloom filters:

CREATE INDEX foo ON t USING blockfilter (order_date date_minmax_ops,
path character_bloom_ops);

Cool. Very cool.

So, I like blockfilter a lot. I change my vote to blockfilter ;)