Re: High load average in 64-core server , no I/O wait and CPU is idle - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: High load average in 64-core server , no I/O wait and CPU is idle
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Rajesh Kumar. Mallah
<mallah@tradeindia.com> wrote:

> | Load can easily get to 64 (1 per core) without reaching its capacity.
> | So, unless you're experiencing decreased performance I wouldn't think
> | much of it.
>
> I far as i understand ,
> Load Avg is the average number of processes waiting to be run in past 1 ,
> 5 or 15 mins. A number > 1 would mean that countable number of processes
> were waiting to be run. how can load of more than 1 and upto 64 be OK
> for a 64 core machine ?

Load avg is the number of processes in the running queue, which can be
either waiting to be run or actually running.

So if you had 100% CPU usage, then you'd most definitely have a load
avg of 64, which is neither good or bad. It may simply mean that
you're using your hardware's full potential.

If your processes are waiting but not using CPU or I/O time... all I
can think of is mcelog (it's the only application I've ever witnessed
doing that). Do check ps/top and try to find out which processes are
in a waiting state to have a little more insight.