Re: High load average in 64-core server , no I/O wait and CPU is idle - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: High load average in 64-core server , no I/O wait and CPU is idle
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Rajesh Kumar. Mallah (mallah@tradeindia.com) wrote:
>> We are running linux with kernel 3.2.X
>> (which has the lseek improvements)
>
> Ah, good.
>
>> Thanks for the reference , even i thought so (LockManager) ,
>> but we are actually also running out db max connections (also)
>> ( which is currently at 600) , when that happens  something at
>> the beginning of the application stack also gets dysfunctional and it
>> changes the very input to the system. ( think of negative feedback systems )
>
> Oh.  Yeah, have you considered pgbouncer?

Or pooling at the application level. Many ORMs support connection
pooling and limiting out-of-the-box.

In essence, postgres should never bounce connections, it should all be
handled by the application or a previous pgbouncer, both of which
would do it more efficient and effectively.