Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
class="gmail_quote"style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class="im">On Tue, Oct
29,2013 at 7:53 AM, Leonardo Francalanci <<a href="mailto:m_lists@yahoo.it">m_lists@yahoo.it</a>> wrote:<br
willget around to implementing a btree index<br /> insertion buffer one day. I think that would be a particularly<br />
compellingoptimization for us, because we could avoid ever inserting<br /> index tuples that are already dead when the
berelatively easy the way web mining does it (with inverted indexes).<br /><br />Have a small (presumably RAM-fitting)
stagingindex where inserts take place, and regularly dump it into the "master index", the rationale being that by the
timeyou dump it, it'll be more efficient to do many inserts at once for one, and there will be lots of dead tuples you