Re: Re[2]: [HACKERS] Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance (summary v2 2014-1-17) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Claudio Freire
Subject Re: Re[2]: [HACKERS] Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance (summary v2 2014-1-17)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Миша Тюрин <tmihail@bk.ru> wrote:
> And does anyone know how mysql-innodb guys are getting with similar issues?

I'm no innodb dev, but from managing mysql databases, I can say that
mysql simply eats all the RAM the admin is willing to allocate for the
DB, and is content with the page cache almost not working.

IOW: mysql manages its own cache and doesn't need or want the page
cache. That *does* result in terrible performance when I/O is needed.
Some workloads are nigh-impossible to optimize with this scheme.