Add docs stub for recovery.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Add docs stub for recovery.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all

I noticed that when recovery.conf was removed in 2dedf4d9a8 (yay!) the docs for it were removed completely as well. That's largely sensible, but is confusing when users have upgraded and are trying to find out what happened, or how to configure equivalent functionality.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/recovery-config.html just vanished for /12/, and as a result https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/recovery-config.html is a 404. I think that's unhelpful since we encourage people to use /current/ links.

The attached patch restores the recovery-config.html page with a short note explaining why it's gone and what to do instead. It's added to a new appendix "Obsolete or renamed features, settings and files".

I found it remarkably hard to find out what exactly made a "standby server" actually be a standby server in the docs so I have added a couple of cross-references that make the role of the standby.signal file much more discoverable from relevant locations.

I propose a policy that we preserve our <chapter> and <sect1> ids. We should move them to an "obsolete" section at the end, like the one I created here, and provide stubs for them instead of removing them. That'll help prevent us from breaking links on the wider web, in 3rd party documentation, etc.

Attachment