Re: Proposal for updating src/timezone - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Cochran
Subject Re: Proposal for updating src/timezone
Date
Re: Proposal for updating src/timezone  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Michael Banck <mbanck@gmx.net> wrote:
SNIP
Maybe if you pgindent the IANA code as well, you can more easily diff
the actual changes between the two, did you try that?

Michael

Unfortunately, pgindent doesn't work well with the IANA code as evident by some previous checkins.

To quote a checkin done 2004-05-21 16:59:10 by Tom Lane
pgindent did a pretty awful job on the timezone code, particularly with respect to doubly-starred comment blocks.  Do some manual cleanup.

As it is, I've finished checking the differences between the postgres and IANA code for zic.c after editing both to eliminate non-functional style differences such as indentation, function prototypes, comparing strchr results against NULL or 0, etc. It looks like the only differences from the stock code is support for the -P option implemented by Tom Lane and the substitution of the postgres code for getopt instead of the unix default as well as a few minor changes in some defaults and minor modifications to deal with Windows. Overall, rather small and trivial.

Additionally, I discovered a little piece of low hanging fruit. The Makefile for the timezone code links together zic.o ialloc.o scheck.o and localtime.o in order to make zic.  Additionally, zic.c has a stub implementation of pg_open_tzfile() in order to resolve a linkage issue with the localtime.o module for zic.
Well, as it turns out, localtime.o doesn't supply ANY symbols that zic needs and therefore can be omitted entirely from the list of object files comprising zic. Which in turn means that the stub implementation of pg_open_tzfile can be removed from the postgres version of zic.c.  I'm not bothering to submit a patch involving this since that patch will be quite short lived given my objective to bring the code up to date with the 2014e version of the IANA code. But I am submitting a bug report to IANA on the Makefile since the unneeded linkage with localtime.o is still in the 2014e code on their site.

--

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. — C.A.R. Hoare