Re: [HACKERS] replace GrantObjectType with ObjectType - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rushabh Lathia
Subject Re: [HACKERS] replace GrantObjectType with ObjectType
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 10/12/17 22:18, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'm generally supportive of this, but I'm not entirely thrilled with how
> this ends up conflating TABLEs and RELATIONs.  From the GRANT
> perspective, there's no distinction, and that was clear from the
> language used and how things were handled, but the OBJECT enum has that
> distinction.  This change just makes VIEWs be OBJECT_TABLE even though
> they actually aren't tables and there even is an OBJECT_VIEW value.
> This commit may be able to grok that and manage it properly, but later
> hackers might miss that.
>
> I would also suggest that the naming be consistent with the other bits
> of the GRANT system (eg: ACL_ALL_RIGHTS_NAMESPACE would be changed to
> ACL_ALL_RIGHTS_SCHEMA, to match OBJECT_SCHEMA).

OK, here is a bigger patch set that addresses these issues.  I have
added OBJECT_RELATION to reflect the difference between TABLE and
RELATION.  I have also renamed NAMESPACE to SCHEMA.  And then I got rid
of AclObjectKind as well, because it's just another enum for the same thing.

This is now a bit bigger, so I'll put it in the commit fest for detailed
review.

I quickly look the patch and I liked the
v2-0001-Replace-GrantObjectType-with-ObjectType.patch, it's very clean
and making things much better.

I looked at another patch

About v2-0002-Replace-AclObjectKind-with-ObjectType.patch:

I noted that no_priv_msg and not_owner_msg array been removed
and code fitted the code into aclcheck_error().  Actually that
makes the code more complex then what it used to be.  I would
prefer the array rather then code been fitted into the function.

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Rushabh Lathia