Re: PostgreSQL shutdown modes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rushabh Lathia
Subject Re: PostgreSQL shutdown modes
Date
List pgsql-hackers

+1 for the idea of changing the name, as it's really confusing.

I had quick check in the patch and noticed below replacements:

-#define SmartShutdown 1
-#define FastShutdown 2
-#define ImmediateShutdown 3
+#define DumbShutdown 1
+#define SlowShutdown 2
+#define CrappyShutdown 3

About the new naming,  if "Crappy" can be replaced with something else. But
was not able to come up with any proper suggestions here.  Or may be
"Immediate" is appropriate, as here it's talking about a "Shutdown" operation.

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 8:29 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 01:22:05PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I attach herewith a modest patch to rename these shutdown modes to
> more accurately correspond to their actual characteristics.
>
> Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:50:05 -0400

I love the idea.  Just in time, before the feature freeze deadline.
--
Michael

--
Rushabh Lathia