OmniTI Database Administrator - Mailing list pgsql-jobs

From Mary Swidowich
Subject OmniTI Database Administrator
Date
List pgsql-jobs

The OmniTI Data Management team is looking for a Database Administrator to help us grow!

We are a flexible and progressive group. We work closely with developers, operations, and client groups to provide a "full stack" perspective on providing highly available data services at scale. We believe a polyglot approach to databases is the best way to learn and to solve today’s challenging data problems. Sure, everyone has their favorites, but understanding database fundamentals and how the properties of different database systems interact with applications and operating systems is a key to our success.

About The Job

Most people have that one company they worked for that did thousands of transactions per second, or had that one terabyte level database they once worked on. At OmniTI these types of challenges are the norm. You will get a chance to build out complex multi-server environments working with multiple database technologies, and you'll have a rock solid team to support you as you do it. Common problems you'll be solving include:

  • Monitoring databases for problems and diagnosing where those problems are.
  • Working with senior engineers to maintain scalable, reliable, and robust database environments.
  • Working with developers on performance tuning, query optimization, and index tuning.
  • Building database tools and scripts to simplify, automate, or solve the problems vendors leave behind.
  • Provide 24x7 escalated on-call support on a pager rotation.

Requirements & Education:

  • 3-4+ years working with two or more databases systems including Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, or MSSQL.
  • 4+ years working in Unix/Linux environments, particularly with web facing systems.
  • Proficient tuning database processes and queries, both physically and logically.
  • A solid understanding of database replication, including Master-Slave, Master-Master, and Distributed setups.
  • Ability to work cooperatively with software engineers and system administrators.
  • Excellent communication skills.
  • Exceptional problem-solving expertise and attention to detail.
  • The ability to remain calm in the face of extreme crises.
  • BS in Computer Science or equivalent.

Bonus

  • Work from Fulton, MD, or NYC office
  • Familiarity with additional database systems (Riak, Hadoop, MongoDB)
  • You can build a complete web environment armed with a network connection and a shell prompt
  • Comfortable with C

About You

  • You like working with a team, knowing that efficiency and thoroughness trade-offs happen every day.
  • You don't believe there is OneTrueWay™ of database administration.
  • You don't mind hacking stored procedures, and you'll work with ORM queries when you need to.
  • You crave collaboration with application developers and operations alike.
  • You think SQL is a great tool for for answering questions, but aren't afraid to use grep/awk/sed to bend data when you need to.
  • You don't believe that all data has the same requirements of consistency, availability, and partition-tolerance.
  • You love experimenting, testing, and QA so much, you learned how to do it in production.

If this sounds like you, send your cover letter and resume to careers@omniti.com. If you contribute to an open source project, write a blog, or are involved in technology in some other way, we would love to hear about it when you write to us!

Mary Swidowich, PHR
Human Resources Generalist
OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc.