Re: Distinct on a non-sort column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tair Sabirgaliev
Subject Re: Distinct on a non-sort column
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Cstdenis <lists@on-track.ca> wrote:
> I am trying to write a query that selects recent submissions (sorted by
> submission_date) but only selects the most recent one for each user_id.
>
> example query: select distinct on (user_id) * from stories order by
> date_submitted desc limit 10;
>
> However postgres will not allow me to filter out duplicate rows with
> distinct unless I sort on that column, which would product useless results
> for me. Group by seems to have similiar problems, plus the additional
> problem of wanting aggregate functions to be used.
>
> I even tried sorting in a subquery, but it still comes out sorted by
> user_id: select distinct on (user_id) * from stories where sid in (select
> sid from stories order by date_submitted desc limit 10);
>

> How can I work around this limitation to get the results sorted the way I
> want, then have the duplicates removed? I can't be the only one running into
> this limitation, there must be some workaround.

assuming date_submitted are unique for user_id:
select * from stories s, (select user_id, max(date_submitted) d from
stories group by user_id) ss where s.user_id = ss.user_id and
s.date_submitted = ss.date_submitted;

--
с уважением,
Таир Сабыргалиев