Parallel pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Emanuel Calvo
Subject Parallel pg_basebackup
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is a proposal for parallelize pg_basebackup (sorry if there is already one, I looked into the inbox and did not find any).

I made a simple test and the performance gain is pretty considerable using parallel rsync processes vs. single pg_basebackup.

i.e., for 46GB of data I had the following results:

rsync, parallel, including the xlogs
real 18m52.674s
user 33m54.728s
sys 13m44.604s

(-x option)
real    23m26.802s
user    0m24.392s
sys     3m55.116s

Actually, AWS services limits the bandwidth per process but if you have parallel processes, none of them will have the IOPS decreased which will be translated in a great improvement. Also the network bandwidth is strong between the regions.

Thanks guys!

Emanuel Calvo