Re: Aggregation results with json(b)_agg and array_agg in a SELECT with OUTER JOIN - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From sulfinu@gmail.com
Subject Re: Aggregation results with json(b)_agg and array_agg in a SELECT with OUTER JOIN
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I've adjusted the statements so that you can clearly see that there is a difference between a missing outer-joined entity and its columns being actually set to NULL:
create table a (
  id serial2 primary key,
  name text
);

create table b (
  name text,
  a int2 references a(id)
);

insert into a (name) values ('a1'), ('a2'), ('a3');
insert into b (name, a) values
  ('b for a1', 1), ('another b for a1', 1), (null, null);

select a.*, json_agg(b) from
  left join b on b.a = a.id or a.id = 3 and b.a is null
  group by a.id;
select a.*, array_agg(b) from
  left join b on b.a = a.id or a.id = 3 and b.a is null
  group by a.id;

Therefore, it is a bug. Whether the collective handling of joined columns as a NULL record has some justification or there are reasons for not fixing this inconsistency, that's another matter.
Anyway, thanks for a second workaround.

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 8:12 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I agree that, in at least the json_agg case, the json array that is
> produced should be an json object with keys matching the names of the
> fields of the composite.

Well, it *is*, if the input is a composite value.  A bare NULL isn't
a composite value.  Observe the difference:

regression=# select to_json(null::b);
 to_json
---------

(1 row)

regression=# select to_json(row(null,null)::b);
        to_json
------------------------
 {"name":null,"a":null}
(1 row)

Is there a place in our docs where the reader can learn that in the query: "SELECT b FROM a LEFT JOIN b":

The reference to "b" in the target list, for rows where there is no match, is constructed semantically via null:b as opposed to (b.col1, b.col2, ...)::b ?

David J.

The following does work if the object form of the JSON is desired.

select a.*, json_agg((b.name, b.a)::b) from
  left join b on b.a = a.id
  group by a.id;

(one cannot avoid writing out the column names here since any reference to plain "b" or "b.*" results in the scalar null construction of b coming into play)

David J.