Re: Diagnostic comment in LogicalIncreaseXminForSlot - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: Diagnostic comment in LogicalIncreaseXminForSlot
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 11:26 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 5:43 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> LogicalIncreaseRestartDecodingForSlot() has a debug log to report a
> new restart_lsn. But the corresponding function for catalog_xmin.
> Here's a patch to add the same.

I think this can be useful. One minor comment:
+ elog(DEBUG1, "got new catalog_xmin %u at %X/%X", xmin,
+ (uint32) (current_lsn >> 32), (uint32) current_lsn);

Isn't it better to use LSN_FORMAT_ARGS for current_lsn?

Thanks for reminding me about that. :).

Attached revised patch.

Also, there
doesn't seem to be any urgency for adding this, so you can register it
for the next CF so that we can add this when the branch opens for
PG-15.

It's there in CF. I am fine with PG-15. It will be good to patch the back-branches to have this extra diagnostic information available.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh