Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jelte Fennema-Nio
Subject Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
Date
Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 15 Aug 2024 at 05:17, Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:
> +1. Regarding the CI link, I would be good if the CF entry automatically adds a
> link to the CI run. It can be a separate field or even add it to "Links".

I'm on it. I think this email should be a subset of the info on the CF
entry webpage, so I'll first change the cf entry page to include all
this info.

> I'm not sure about 4, you can always check the latest patch in the CF entry (it
> is usually the "latest attachment") and that's what the cfbot uses to run.

This is definitely a personal preference thing, but I like reading
patches on GitHub much better than looking at raw patch files. It has
syntax highlighting and has those little arrow buttons at the top of a
diff, to show more context about the file.

I realized a 5th thing that I would want in the email and cf entry page

5. A copy-pastable set of git command that checks out the patch by
downloading it from the cfbot repo like this:

git config branch.cf/5107.remote
https://github.com/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql.git
git config branch.cf/5107.merge refs/heads/cf/5107
git checkout -b cf/5107
git pull

> If I understand your proposal correctly, there will be another email to the
> thread if the previous CF was closed and someone opened a new CF entry.
> Sometimes some CF entries are about the same thread.

Yeah, that's correct. If a new CF entry is created for an existing
thread a new email would be sent. But to be clear, if CF entry is
pushed to the next commitfest, **no** new email would be sent.