Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua Brindle
Subject Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
<snip>

> I suggest that what might be saner is to consider that the "objects"
> that the hook calls are concerned with are the pg_setting_acl entries,
> not the underlying GUCs, and thus that the hooks need be invoked only
> when creating, destroying or altering those entries.  If we do have
> a need for a hook editorializing on GUC value settings, that would
> have to be an independent API --- but I have heard no calls for
> the ability to have such a hook, and I don't think that this patch
> is the place to introduce one.

I requested it here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAGB%2BVh5pVFAqw8YzeXy4xxmEt_4Hq_8pEUHdCQvv3mCjvC-S-w%40mail.gmail.com

with compromises here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAGB%2BVh6wLJ3FKsno62fi54pfg0FDrZRWcpuuCJBkHcCj-G1ndw%40mail.gmail.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/0A3D3CBA-6548-4C9E-9F46-59D5C51A1F31%40enterprisedb.com
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAGB%2BVh65R5vKC4rEt7r2_pK3kMZd-VY0n99RJwcP8Bic7xvOxQ%40mail.gmail.com

and the new version here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/C8DF19D8-C15D-4C2D-91CA-391390F1E421%40enterprisedb.com

which I wrote. a toy module to test and was satisfied with it, despite
the limitations.

If we are adding a DAC Grant for a type of object it seems untenable
that it would not come with analogous MAC capable hooks.

Thank you.