Re: Errors when update a view with conditional-INSTEAD rules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pengzhou Tang
Subject Re: Errors when update a view with conditional-INSTEAD rules
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> I am wondering whether a simple auto-updatable view can have a conditional update instead rule.

Well, the decision reached in [1] was that we wouldn't allow that. We
could decide to allow it now as a new feature enhancement, but it
wouldn't be a back-patchable bug-fix, and to be honest I wouldn't be
particularly excited about adding such a feature now. We already get
enough reports related to multiple rule actions behaving in
counter-intuitive ways that trip up users. I don't think we should be
enhancing the rule system, but rather encouraging users not to use it
and use triggers instead.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.