Re: [HACKERS] Adding support for Default partition in partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Keith Fiske
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Adding support for Default partition in partitioning
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Adding support for Default partition in partitioning  (Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. Handling adding a new partition to a partitioned table
>    with default partition.
>    This will require moving tuples from existing default partition to
>   newly created partition if they satisfy its partition bound.

Considering that this patch was submitted at the last minute and isn't
even complete, I can't see this getting into v10.  But that doesn't
mean we can't talk about it.  I'm curious to hear other opinions on
whether we should have this feature.  On the point mentioned above, I
don't think adding a partition should move tuples, necessarily; seems
like it would be good enough - maybe better - for it to fail if there
are any that would need to be moved.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company