Re: Orphaned relations after crash/sigkill during CREATE TABLE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Myers
Subject Re: Orphaned relations after crash/sigkill during CREATE TABLE
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 3:49 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> Have you tried with:
> BEGIN;
> CREATE TABLE some_table SELECT some_data FROM other_table LIMIT 1 WITH
> NO DATA;
> COMMIT;

> The above gets you the table structure, but no data.

> BEGIN;
> INSERT into some_table SELECT * FROM other_table;
>COMMIT;

> The above populates the table

Thanks -- we were indeed creating and populating the new table all in a single transaction.

I'll see if we can split this into two transactions so that the table structure is committed quickly.  I think you're right that this would mostly sidestep the issue.

-Jason

p.s. Apologies if this is formatted wrong, this is my first mailing list post.