getting pg_basebackup to use remote destination - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chuck Martin
Subject getting pg_basebackup to use remote destination
Date
Re: getting pg_basebackup to use remote destination  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: getting pg_basebackup to use remote destination  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
I thought I knew how to do this, but I apparently don't. I have to set up a new server as a standby for a PG 11.1 server. The main server has a lot more resources than the standby. What I want to do is run pg_basebackup on the main server with the output going to the data directory on the new server. But when I give this command:

pg_basebackup -D "ssh root@10.0.1.16:/mnt/dbraid/data" -P -v -X s

it instead writes to my root drive which doesn't have the space, so it fails and deletes the partial backup.

While I think I could figure out how to backup to a local directory then rsync it to the new server, I'd like to avoid that due to the 750GB size.

Is there a way to tell pg_basebackup to use a remote destination for output? Or do I have to run pg_basebackup on the standby server?

And while I'm asking, has anyone yet written a guide/tutorial for PG 11 replication? Everything I find online is very old.

Chuck Martin
Avondale Software