Re: Where to store Blobs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chuck Martin
Subject Re: Where to store Blobs?
Date
List pgsql-general
I store them as bytea in the database despite the fact that there are benefits to storing them in the file system. The reason is that it is easier to secure access to the database than to secure both the database and provide secure access to the file system.

Chuck Martin
Avondale Software

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:34 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
Thomas Güttler wrote:
> Now I realized: Nobody talked about Blobs.
>
> I guess most people do not store Blobs in PostgresSQL.
>
> Where do you store Blobs?
>
> (In my case Blobs are PDF/image files with size up to 20 MByte.
> I do not talk about very big blobs which are several hundret MByte)

Ideally outside the database, if they are many.
Large databases are harder to backup than large file systems.

If you keep 20MB binaries in the database, you'd use the "bytea" data type.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe