Re: Need help! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Giuseppe Broccolo
Subject Re: Need help!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Ayoub,

Il giorno mer 7 apr 2021 alle ore 17:29 FATIHI Ayoub <ayoubfatihi1999@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hi postgres community,
I am willing to participate in GSoC to speed up the build of the gist index in postgis, which is based on postgresql.
And I need to know *everything* about the GiST API.
To do so I need to acquire the necessary theory and concepts to start this journey.
I do not have a computer science background, I have little knowledge about machines and I code in Python (for scientific computation, data science and ml).
So I am asking what I should learn to complete in an efficient way this task at hand: speeding up the build of gist index, if possible how much time is needed to accomplish each task.

The main thing you have to know IMO is the concept of "extensibility of indexes" in PostgreSQL. More specifically about GiST, you can have a look here:

Here there's also a note about the new added method of the API sortsupport, which is what you need for your task.

Giuseppe.