: PostgreSQL Online Backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Venkat Balaji
Subject : PostgreSQL Online Backup
Date
Re: : PostgreSQL Online Backup  ("Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
List pgsql-general
Hello Everyone,

We have had situations where-in "rsync" was executed without executing "pg_start_backup()" on the production data directory and on the next runs, "pg_start_backup()" has been executed with "rsync". This was to avoid high IO load on production. We ended up getting unmatched files (especially in pg_clog) and not sure about "base" directory.

Postgres is asking for WAL Archive files dated sometime around 15 days ago. We are absolutely not sure whats going on.

Is this dangerous for production (like corruption) ? or just the backup will be invalid ? Please help us know if we have to perform any precautionary checks on the production cluster.

Apart from firing a checkpoint, does "pg_start_backup()" updates any dictionary tables or views ? or it updates anything in "pg_xlog"

Looking forward for your help !

Thanks
VB