Re: a very naive question about table names in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josef Šimánek
Subject Re: a very naive question about table names in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
pá 31. 12. 2021 v 21:28 odesílatel Martin Mueller
<martinmueller@northwestern.edu> napsal:

> I have a very naïve question and don’t know where tp  look for the answer.  I use Postgres via AquaData Studio as a
giantspreadsheet.  I create tables and give them names. I see the table names  and know how to manipulate them with
simpleSQL queries.

> I know that on my Mac the tables are  kept in the  data directory /Users/martinmueller/Library/Application
Support/Postgres/var-13. If I go there I see that internally the tables have numbers.  Somewhere in the system there
mustbe a table that maps the name I gave to table X  to the numerical  inside the database.

> Where is that mapping and how can I query it?  On what page of the documentation do I find the answer?

There is a nice blogpost related.
https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/blog/postgresql-filename-to-table/

> I much prefer Postgres to Mysql for  a variety of reasons, but mostly for its elegant string functions. But in Mysql
itseems to be much easier to keep track of tables.