Re: potential bug in JSON - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Szymon Guz
Subject Re: potential bug in JSON
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 28 May 2013 17:53, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
On 05/28/2013 08:38 AM, Szymon Guz wrote:
> I've found a potential bug. Why the "->" operator returns JSON instead of
> TEXT? It doesn't make sens for me, and the documentation doesn't inform
> about that.

Yes, it most certainly does:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/functions-json.html

If you want to get text, use the ->> operator.

Yea, I noticed that. It was a little bit misleading for me that "->" is for getting field and "->>" is for getting field as text. Especially when "->"::TEXT doesn't return the same value as "->>".
Maybe there should be added "as JSON" to those operators which don't return text?

Szymon