Re: Clang support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Szymon Guz
Subject Re: Clang support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 19 November 2013 23:02, Szymon Guz <mabewlun@gmail.com> wrote:
On 19 November 2013 22:54, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
Szymon Guz <mabewlun@gmail.com> wrote:

> is clang supported for compiling Postgres? I found some websites
> with information that some people compiled Postgres succesfully,
> but I got plenty of errors even with running ./configure. So I'm
> wondering if it's my fault, however gcc works properly.

I am able to build with this version of clang:

Ubuntu clang version 3.4-1~exp1 (trunk) (based on LLVM 3.4)
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix

All I do is `export CC=clang` before running ./configure and make.

I was getting three benign warnings which didn't show up for gcc,
and recently committed changes to quiet those.

Hi Kevin,
thanks for the answer.

I still get about twenty errors like:

checking zlib.h usability... no
checking zlib.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: zlib.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: zlib.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: zlib.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: zlib.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: zlib.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: zlib.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ---------------------------------------- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org ##

But it seems that I'm using older clang:
Debian clang version 3.2-7ubuntu1 (tags/RELEASE_32/final) (based on LLVM 3.2)
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix

So maybe that's the problem, I will update clang and try once again.

Yep, that's the problem. After updating to clang 3.4, there were no errors in configuring and compilation runs properly so far.

thanks,
Szymon