Re: [HACKERS] scan on inheritance parent with no children in current session - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: [HACKERS] scan on inheritance parent with no children in current session
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> rhaas=# create table parent (a int) partition by list (a);
> CREATE TABLE
> rhaas=# create temp table child partition of parent for values in (1);
> CREATE TABLE
> rhaas=# explain verbose select * from parent;
>                                QUERY PLAN
>  Append  (cost=0.00..35.50 rows=2550 width=4)
>    ->  Seq Scan on pg_temp_3.child  (cost=0.00..35.50 rows=2550 width=4)
>          Output: child.a
> (3 rows)
>
> But the comments say:
>
>  * A childless table is never considered to be an inheritance set; therefore
>  * a parent RTE must always have at least two associated AppendRelInfos.
>
> Yet, not.  So at least the comments need to be updated;

A partitioned table with at least a single partition is not childless.
So, above comment doesn't apply here. In a regular inheritance there
will be at least two AppendRelInfos one representing a scan on the
parent table and others representing the scan on children. The comment
needs to be distinguish between regular inheritance and partitioned
inheritance. I have modified the comments that way.

> not sure if we
> want to try to eliminate the Append node in this case also.

The rest of the query tree and plan tree, expects parent's targetlist
which may be different from that of the child. A notable difference is
whole row expressions getting translated using ConvertRowExpr, which
are not expected to pop up in a scan's targetlist. So we can't
eliminate the Append node.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat