Re: Declarative partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: Declarative partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2016/04/15 18:46, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:

> 3. PartitionKeyData contains KeyTypeCollInfo, whose contents can be
> obtained by calling functions exprType, exprTypemod on partexprs. Why do we
> need to store that information as a separate member?

There was no KeyTypeCollInfo in early days of the patch and then I found
myself doing a lot of:

partexprs_item = list_head(key->partexprs);
for (attr in key->partattrs)
{
    if (attr->attnum != 0)
    {
        // simple column reference, get type from attr
    }
    else
    {
        // expression, get type using exprType, etc.
        partexprs_item = lnext(partexprs_item);
    }
}

At least the two loops can be flattened to a single loop if we keep only expressions list with attributes being just Var nodes. exprType() etc. would then work seemlessly.

That ended up being quite a few places (though I managed to reduce the
number of places over time).  So, I created this struct which is
initialized when partition key is built (on first open of the partitioned
table).

Hmm, I am just afraid that we might end up with some code using cached information and some using exprType, exprTypmod etc.
--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat