Re: Reconstructing Insert queries with indirection - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: Reconstructing Insert queries with indirection
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Consider following sequence of commands

> create type complex as (r float8, i float8);
> create type quad as (c1 complex, c2 complex);
> create temp table quadtable(f1 int, q quad);

> insert into quadtable (f1, q.c1.r, q.c2.i) values(44,55,66);

> While parsing the INSERT query, we parse the query with three columns and
> three values in the target list, but during rewriting we combine q.c1.r and
> q.c2.i into a single column in the form of FieldStore structure. In
> Postgres-XC, we deparse these parse trees, to be sent to other PostgreSQL
> servers.

Well, basically you have a broken design there.  We are not going to
adopt a restriction that post-rewrite trees are necessarily exactly
representable as SQL, so there are going to be corner cases where this
approach fails.

That's an optimization, and in the cases it fails, we fall back to basics. If there are known differences, please let us know.

> The assertion is added by commit 858d1699. The notes for the commit have
> following paragraph related to FieldStore deparsing.

>     I chose to represent an assignment ArrayRef as "array[subscripts] :=
> source",
>     which is fairly reasonable and doesn't omit any information.  However,
>     FieldStore is problematic because the planner will fold multiple
> assignments
>     to fields of the same composite column into one FieldStore, resulting
> in a
>     structure that is hard to understand at all, let alone display
> comprehensibly.
>     So in that case I punted and just made it print the source
> expression(s).

> So, there doesn't seem to be any serious reason behind the restriction.

If you have a proposal for some reasonable way to print the actual
meaning of the expression (and a patch to do it), we can certainly
consider changing that code.  I don't think it's possible to display it
as standard SQL, though.  The ArrayRef case is already not standard SQL.

Let me try to come up with a patch.

Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat
EntepriseDB Corporation