Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ashutosh Bapat
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:04 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
>> Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hmm, maybe I was wrong. I now think that the waiting backends can be
>>> woken up only in following cases;
>>> - The resolver process succeeded to resolve all foreign transactions.
>>> - The user did the cancel (e.g. ctl-c).
>>> - The resolver process failed to resolve foreign transaction for a
>>> reason of there is no such prepared transaction on foreign server.
>>>
>>> In other cases the resolver process should not release the waiters.
>>
>> I'm not sure I see consensus here. What Ashutosh says seems to be: "Special
>> effort is needed to ensure that backend does not keep waiting if the resolver
>> can't finish it's work in forseable future. But this effort is not worth
>> because by waking the backend up you might prevent the next transaction from
>> seeing the changes the previous one tried to make."
>>
>> On the other hand, your last comments indicate that you try to be even more
>> stringent in letting the backend wait. However even this stringent approach
>> does not guarantee that the next transaction will see the data changes made by
>> the previous one.
>>

> What I'd like to guarantee is that the subsequent read can see the
> committed result of previous writes if the transaction involving
> multiple foreign servers is committed without cancellation by user. In
> other words, the backend should not be waken up and the resolver
> should continue to resolve at certain intervals even if the resolver
> fails to connect to the foreign server or fails to resolve it. This is
> similar to what synchronous replication guaranteed today. Keeping this
> semantics is very important for users. Note that the reading a
> consistent result by concurrent reads is a separated problem.

The question I have is how would we deal with a foreign server that is
not available for longer duration due to crash, longer network outage
etc. Example is the foreign server crashed/got disconnected after
PREPARE but before COMMIT/ROLLBACK was issued. The backend will remain
blocked for much longer duration without user having an idea of what's
going on. May be we should add some timeout.

> The read result including foreign servers can be inconsistent if the
> such transaction is cancelled or the coordinator server crashes during
> two-phase commit processing. That is, if there is in-doubt transaction
> the read result can be inconsistent, even for subsequent reads. But I
> think this behaviour can be accepted by users. For the resolution of
> in-doubt transactions, the resolver process will try to resolve such
> transactions after the coordinator server recovered. On the other
> hand, for the reading a consistent result on such situation by
> subsequent reads, for example, we can disallow backends to inquiry SQL
> to the foreign server if a foreign transaction of the foreign server
> is remained.

+1 for the last sentence. If we do that, we don't need the backend to
be blocked by resolver since a subsequent read accessing that foreign
server would get an error and not inconsistent data.

> For the concurrent reads, the reading an inconsistent result can be
> happen even without in-doubt transaction because we can read data on a
> foreign server between PREPARE and COMMIT PREPARED while other foreign
> servers have committed. I think we should deal with this problem by
> other feature on reader side, for example, atomic visibility. If we
> have atomic visibility feature, we also can solve the above problem.

+1.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat