Re: POLA violation with \c service= - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: POLA violation with \c service=
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 08:38:24AM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am sending a review of this patch:
>
> * What it does? - Allow to connect to other db by \connect uri connection
> format
>
> postgres=# \c postgresql://localhost?service=old
> psql (9.5devel, server 9.2.9)
> You are now connected to database "postgres" as user "pavel".
>
> * Would we this feature? - yes, it eliminate inconsistency between cmd line
> connect and \connect. It is good idea without any objections.
>
> * This patch is cleanly applicable, later compilation without any issues
>
> * All regress tests passed
>
> * A psql documentation is updated -- this feature (and format) is not
> widely known, so maybe some more  examples are welcome
>
> * When I tested this feature, it worked as expected
>
> * Code respects PostgreSQL coding rules. I prefer a little bit different
> test if keep password. Current code is little bit harder to understand. But
> I can live with David's code well too.
>
>     if
> (!user)
>
>         user = PQuser(o_conn);
>
>     if
> (!host)
>
>         host =
> PQhost(o_conn);
>

>     if
> (!port)
>
>         port =
> PQport(o_conn);
>

>     if
> (dbname)
>
>         has_connection_string =
> recognized_connection_string(dbname);
>

>    /* we should not to keep password if some connection property is changed
> */
>

>   keep_password = strcmp(user, PQuser(o_conn)) == 0 &&  strcmp(host,
> PQhost(o_conn)) == 0
>                                 &&  strcmp(port, PQport(o_conn)) == 0 &&
> !has_connection_string;

Changed.  This is cleaner.

> I have not any other comments.
>
> Possible questions:
>   1. more examples in doc

I'm not sure how best to illustrate those.  Are you thinking of one
example each for the URI and conninfo cases?

some like

"most common form is:

"\c mydb"

but you can use any connection format described (libpq-connect.html#LIBPQ-PARAMKEYWORDS) like

"\c postgresql://tom@localhost/mydb?application_name=myapp"

>   2. small change how to check keep_password

Done.

Cheers,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com

Remember to vote!