Re: PG SQL and LIKE clause - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: PG SQL and LIKE clause
Date
List pgsql-general

pá 13. 9. 2019 v 8:49 odesílatel Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> napsal:
El día Friday, September 13, 2019 a las 07:33:10AM +0200, Pavel Stehule escribió:

> > We got to know that in CHAR columns with trailing blanks a
> >
> > SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE name LIKE 'Ali'
> >
> > does not match in 'name' having 'Ali '.
> >
> > I glanced through our code with grep pipelines and found some hundred
> > places which would be affected by this problem. I'm not interested in a
> > religious discussion if or if not this behaviour of PG is correcter or
> > better than in Sybase. It's just different to Sybase.
> >
> > Any hints to address this problem? Or is there any compile time option
> > for the PG server to address this?
> >

> There is not simple solution - you should to write own patch and used
> patched postgres.

Hello,

As we compiled our own PG 11.4 and as we're alone on the server with
our software plus PG, this could be an option to consider.

Do you have an idea where to look for this in the PG source. Maybe it's
just deleting the trailing blanks from the column content before applying
the string compare with regular expressions.

I am not a expert on this area, and I don't know all dependency. Some code is in src/backend/utils/adt/like.c

Pavel

Thanks

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!