Re: How to evaluate if a query is correct? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: How to evaluate if a query is correct?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

you can use a PREPARE statement.

Pavel

2013/9/19 Rob Sargentg <robjsargent@gmail.com>
On 09/19/2013 12:13 AM, Juan Daniel Santana Rodés wrote:
Hi my friends...
I wrote in the last post a question similiar to this. But in this post I clarify better the previous question.
I need know how to evaluated if a query is correct without execute it. When I say if a query is correct, is that if I run the query, it did not throw an exception.
For example...

create or replace function is_correct(query text) returns boolean as
$body$
 Declare
 Begin
  -- Here I check if the query is correct, but I can't execute this query, because it may make changes in the data base
 End;
$body$
language 'plpgsql';

Greetings
"Todos el 12 de Septiembre con una Cinta Amarilla"
FIN A LA INJUSTICIA, LIBERENLOS YA!!
http://www.antiterroristas.cu http://justiciaparaloscinco.wordpress.com

Is this an academic exercise or are you actually planning on checking sql then executing it if it's ok (according to your function).  I love plpgsql but I don't think it's the best option for, just to get started, parsing the incoming sql text - that would be one nasty regexp :)

rjs