Re: string_to_array, array_to_string function without separator - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: string_to_array, array_to_string function without separator
Date
List pgsql-hackers

pá 15. 3. 2019 v 17:16 odesílatel Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> napsal:
Chapman Flack <chap@anastigmatix.net> writes:
> So the proposal seems roughly equivalent to making string_to_array's
> second parameter optional default null, and array_to_string's second
> parameter optional default ''.

In that case why bother?  It'll just create a cross-version compatibility
hazard for next-to-no keystroke savings.  If the cases were so common
that they could be argued to be sane "default" behavior, I might feel
differently --- but if you were asked in a vacuum what the default
delimiters ought to be, I don't think you'd say "no delimiter".

My motivation is following - sometimes I need to convert string to array of chars. Using NULL as separator is possible, but it is not intuitive. When you use string_to_array function without separator, then only one possible semantic is there - separation by chars.

I understand so there is a possible collision and possible meaning of missing parameter like default value. But in this case this meaning, semantic is not practical.

Regards

Pavel