Re: possible proposal plpgsql GET DIAGNOSTICS oid = PG_ROUTINE_OID - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: possible proposal plpgsql GET DIAGNOSTICS oid = PG_ROUTINE_OID
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

po 27. 3. 2023 v 5:36 odesílatel Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> napsal:
On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 5:37 PM Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 10:56 AM Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 3:08 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
hi

st 8. 2. 2023 v 7:33 odesílatel Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> napsal:
On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 08:48:22PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> GET DIAGNOSTICS _oid = PG_ROUTINE_OID;
> RAISE NOTICE '... % ... %', _oid, _oid::regproc::text;
>
> Do you think it can be useful feature?

+1, it would have been quite handy in a few of my projects.

it can looks like that

create or replace function foo(a int)
returns int as $$
declare s text; n text; o oid;
begin
  get diagnostics s = pg_current_routine_signature,
                  n = pg_current_routine_name,
                  o = pg_current_routine_oid;
  raise notice 'sign:%,  name:%,  oid:%', s, n, o;
  return a;
end;
$$ language plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION
(2023-02-08 09:04:03) postgres=# select foo(10);
NOTICE:  sign:foo(integer),  name:foo,  oid:16392
┌─────┐
│ foo │
╞═════╡
│  10 │
└─────┘
(1 row)

The name - pg_routine_oid can be confusing, because there is not clean if it is oid of currently executed routine or routine from top of exception

Regards

Pavel

I agree that the name changed to pg_current_routine_...  makes the most sense, great call...

+1

Okay, I reviewed this.  I tested it (allocating too small of varchar's for values, various "signature types"),
and also a performance test... Wow, on my VM, 10,000 Calls in a loop was 2-4ms...

The names are clear.  Again, I tested with various options, and including ROW_COUNT, or not.

This functions PERFECTLY....  Except there are no documentation changes.
Because of that, I set it to Waiting on Author.
Which might be unfair, because I could take a stab at doing the documentation (but docs are not compiling on my setup yet).

The documentation changes are simple enough.
If I can get the docs compiled on my rig, I will see if I can make the changes, and post an updated patch,
that contains both...

But I don't want to be stepping on toes, or having it look like I am taking credit.

Regards - Kirk

Okay, I have modified the documentation and made sure it compiles.  They were simple enough changes.
I am attaching this updated patch.

I have marked the item Ready for Commiter...

Thank you for doc and for review

Regards

Pavel

Thanks for your patience.  I now have a workable hacking environment!

Regards - Kirk