Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Date
List pgsql-hackers

* Pavel Stehule (pavel.stehule@gmail.com) wrote:
> > I don't think we actually care what the "current contents" are from the
> > backend's point of view- after all, when does an individual backend ever
> > use the contents of pg_hba.conf after it's up and running?  What would
> > make sense, to me at least, would be:
> >
> > pg_hba_configured() -- spits back whatever the config file has
> > pg_hba_active() -- shows what the postmaster is using currently
>
> I disagree and I dislike this direction. It is looks like over engineering.
>
> * load every time is wrong, because you will see possibly not active data.

That's the point of the two functions- one to give you what a reload
*now* would, and one to see what's currently active.

> * ignore reload is a attack to mental health of our users.

Huh?

this topic should be divided, please. One part - functions for loading pg_hba and translating to some table. Can be two, can be one with one parameter. It will be used probably by advanced user, and I am able to accept it like you or Tomas proposed. Second part is the content of view pg_hba_conf. It should be only one and should to view a active content. I mean a content that is actively used - when other session is started. I am strongly against the behave, when I have to close session to refresh a content of this view (after reload) - and I am against to see there not active content.

Regards

Pavel

> It should to work like "pg_settings". I need to see "what is wrong in this
> moment" in pg_hba.conf, not what was or what will be wrong.

That's what pg_hba_active() would be from above, yes.

> We can load any config files via admin contrib module - so there is not
> necessary repeat same functionality

That's hardly the same- I can't (easily, anyway) join the results of
pg_read() to pg_hba_active() and see what's different or the same.

        Thanks,

                Stephen