Re: [PERFORM] Vs NULL - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Vs NULL
Date
Re: [PERFORM] Vs NULL  (Marc Mamin <M.Mamin@intershop.de>)
List pgsql-admin
Hi

Hi All

We are testing our Oracle compatible business applications on PostgreSQL database,

the issue we are facing is <empty string> Vs NULL

In Oracle '' (<empty string>) and NULL are treated as NULL

but, in PostgreSQL '' <empty string> not treated as NULL

I need some implicit way in PostgreSQL where ''<empty string> can be treated as NULL

It is not possible in PostgreSQL.  PostgreSQL respects ANSI SQL standard - Oracle not.

Regards

Pavel

p.s. theoretically you can overwrite a type operators to support Oracle behave, but you should not be sure about unexpected negative side effects.

Please,

Thanks
Sridhar BN