Re: Strange performance degregation in sql function (PG11.1) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Strange performance degregation in sql function (PG11.1)
Date
List pgsql-general

čt 23. 5. 2019 v 23:38 odesílatel Alastair McKinley <a.mckinley@analyticsengines.com> napsal:
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your in-depth response.  I found that adding the stable qualifier didn't solve the issue unfortunately.  I actually encountered the same issue (or at least extremely similar) today and made a bit more progress on defining it.

I have a carefully indexed and optimised query that runs in about 2 seconds with this structure and signature.

    create or replace function example_function(param1 int, param2 int) returns setof custom_type as
    $$
        with a_few_ctes ()
        select * from big_table where col1 = param1 and col2 = param2;
    $$ language sql stable;

This function works as expected when executed from a psql client.  I am calling this function via another framework (Postgrest) that executes the function using the following pattern:

    with args as (
        select json_to_record($1) as (param1 int,param2 int)
    ),
    output as (
        select *
        from example_function(
            param1 := (select param1 from args),
            param2 := (select param2 from args)
        )
    )
    select * from output;

Running this query with the args coming from the CTE resulted in my query running for many tens of minutes before I gave up.  Changing the underlying function to use plpgsql fixes the issue and the query runs as expected.  Both versions work as expected when called directly, but the SQL version does not when called with the args coming from the CTE as shown above.

The new function signature is

    create or replace function example_function(param1 int, param2 int) returns setof custom_type as
    $$
        with a_few_ctes ()
        return query select * from big_table where col1 = param1 and col2 = param2;
    $$ language plpgsql stable;

I haven't been able to check the bad query plan with auto_explain as the query doesn't seem to finish.

So to summarise, changing a stable SQL function to a stable plpgsql function when called with function args from a CTE fixes a huge performance issue of uncertain origin.  I hope someone can offer some suggestions as this has really confused me.

SQL functions are fast when they are inlined, but when are not inlined, then they are significantly slower than plpgsql.

I am not sure, long time I didn't see this code. If I remember well, SQL functions doesn't cache plans - so creates and lost plans every time.

Best regards,

Alastair