Re: init script or procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: init script or procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
2011/8/24 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> 2011/8/24 Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com>:
>>> Does PG support the use of an init script or procedure?  I'm looking for
>>> something that'll run unconditionally every time someone makes a DB
>>> connection.  This script will create a temp table and stuff some data in it
>>> for general use within that session.
>>>

>> no, there is nothing similar. You have to call a own procedure after
>> login explicitly
>
> We could really use this.   It's kinda sorta possible to script SQL on
> connection close via C hook through dblink but not on session startup.
> It's not always possible for the client know when a backend session is
> fired up -- for example in connection pools.

connection pooling is problem every time. This is not task for server,
but for connection pooling maintainer. Once we used a workaround - on
a start every function we tested if session is well initialized, and
if not, then we called a init function. But it has a problem with
pooling, so we changed to explicitly call a init function.

Regards

Pavel Stehule