plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

We cannot to declare variable with referenced type on other composite variable. This limit is probably artificial, because any composite type is any type too in PostgreSQL.

The issue:

referencing on composite variables doesn't work

do $$ declare x int; y x%type; begin end; $$; -- ok
do $$ declare x pg_class; y x%type; begin end; $$; -- invalid type name "x%type"
do $$ declare x pg_class; y x%rowtype; begin end; $$; -- relation "x" does not exist

The %ROWTYPE needs a record in pg_class. Probably we should not to change it. The change can bring a compatibility issues. So there are two possibilities:

1. %TYPE can be used for any kind of variables. This behave will be consistent with polymorphic parameters - we have "anyelement", and we have not "anyrow".

2. introduce new keyword - %RECTYPE .. it can work, but there will be gap between polymorphic parameters.

Comments, notices?

Regards

Pavel