Re: Improving avg performance for numeric - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Improving avg performance for numeric
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello

I played with sum(numeric) optimization

Now it is based on generic numeric_add function - this code is
relative old - now we can design aggregates with internal transition
buffers, and probably we can do this work more effective.

I just removed useles palloc/free operations and I got a 30% better
performance! My patch is ugly - because I used a generic add_var
function. Because Sum, Avg and almost all aggregates functions is
limited by speed of sum calculation I thing so we need a new numeric
routines optimized for calculation "sum", that use a only preallocated
buffers. A speed of numeric is more important now, because there are
more and more warehouses, where CPU is botleneck.

Regards

Pavel