Re: range_agg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: range_agg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

pá 5. 7. 2019 v 18:48 odesílatel Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> napsal:
On Fri, 2019-07-05 at 07:58 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> The question is naming - should be this agg function named
> "range_agg", and multi range agg "multirange_agg"? Personally, I have
> not a problem with range_agg, and I have not a problem so it is based
> on union operation. It is true so only result of union can be
> implemented as range simply. When I though about multi range result,
> then there are really large set of possible algorithms how to do some
> operations over two, three values.

Hi Pavel,

Can you explain in more detail? Would an intersection-based aggregate
be useful? If so, and we implement it in the future, what would we call
it?

Intersection can be interesting - you can use it for planning - "is there a intersection of free time ranges?"

About naming - what range_union_agg(), range_intersect_agg() ?

Regards

Pavel

Regards,
        Jeff Davis