Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables
Date
List pgsql-hackers

"Although the syntax of CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE resembles that of the SQL standard, the effect is not the same. In the standard, temporary tables are defined just once and automatically exist (starting with empty contents) in every session that needs them. PostgreSQL instead requires each session to issue its own CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE command for each temporary table to be used. This allows different sessions to use the same temporary table name for different purposes, whereas the standard's approach constrains all instances of a given temporary table name to have the same table structure.”
Yeah, that’s a DECLAREd table in my book. No wonder we didn’t link up.

This is known discussion about local / global temp tables in PostgresSQL. And ToDo point: implementation of global temp tables in Postgres.

This temporary behave is marginal part of proposal - so I can to remove it from proposal - and later open discussion about CREATE TEMPORARY VARIABLE versus DECLARE VARIABLE

Regards

Pavel

Serge