Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello

Harder maybe but it may still be cleaner in the long run.

Overall, it's my intention here to remove as many as feasible of the old
reasons why one might use an SRF in the select list.

Indeed, it's a big nail in the coffin for SRFs-in-targetlist. Having
WITH ORDINALITY and this feature, I would vote for removing
SRF-in-targetlist and call the release PostgreSQL 10.0.

Although I would to remove SRF from targetlist, I don't think so this hurry strategy is good idea. We should to provide new functionality and old functionality one year as minimum, and we should to announce so this feature is deprecated - and maybe use a GUC for disabling, warning and deprecating.  More, I would to see 9.4 release:). x.4 are happy PostgreSQL releases :)

Regards

Pavel