Re: PL/pgSQL nested CALL with transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: PL/pgSQL nested CALL with transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>:
>> Not very typical, but we apply the same execution context handling to
>> CALL and DO at the top level, so it would be weird not to propagate that.

> Although it is possible, I don't see any sense of introduction for DO into
> plpgsql. Looks like duplicate to EXECUTE.

Not sure what you think is being "introduced" here.  It already works just
like any other random SQL command:

regression=# do $$
regression$# begin
regression$#   raise notice 'outer';
regression$#   do $i$ begin raise notice 'inner'; end $i$;
regression$# end $$;
NOTICE:  outer
NOTICE:  inner
DO

While certainly that's a bit silly as-is, I think it could have practical
use if the inner DO invokes a different PL.

ok, make sense

Pavel