Re: proposal: enhancing plpgsql debug API - returns text value of variable content - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: enhancing plpgsql debug API - returns text value of variable content
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

čt 17. 3. 2022 v 20:58 odesílatel Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> napsal:
It looks like this is -- like a lot of plpgsql patches -- having
difficulty catching the attention of reviewers and committers.
Aleksander asked for a test and Pavel put quite a bit of work into
adding a good test case. I actually like that there's a test because
it shows the API can be used effectively.

From my quick skim of this code it does indeed look like it's ready to
commit. It's mostly pretty mechanical code to expose a couple fields
so that a debugger can see them.

Pavel, are you planning to add a debugger to contrib using this? The
test example code looks like it would already be kind of useful even
in this form.

I had a plan to use the new API in plpgsql_check https://github.com/okbob/plpgsql_check for integrated tracer

There is the pldebugger https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/pldebugger and I think this extension can use this API well too. You can see - the PL debugger has about 6000 lines, and more, there are some extensions for EDB. So, unfortunately, It doesn't looks like good candidate for contrib. Writing new debugger from zero doesn't looks like effective work. I am open any discussion about it. Maybe some form of more sophisticated tracer can be invited, but I think so better is enhancing widely used pldebugger extension.

Regards

Pavel