Re: Packages, inner subprograms, and parameterizable anonymous blocks for PL/pgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Packages, inner subprograms, and parameterizable anonymous blocks for PL/pgSQL
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi

I’m still hoping that I might get some pointers to whitepapers or blog posts that expand on those bullets that I quoted from the PG doc: «Instead of packages, use schemas to organize your functions into groups.» and «Since there are no packages, there are no package-level variables either. This is somewhat annoying. You can keep per-session state in temporary tables instead.»

I fixed a patch https://commitfest.postgresql.org/36/1608/ so you can check it.

Using temporary tables instead of session variables is not too practical. There are more alternative ways - a) one extension, b) using global variables from Perl, c) using global configuration variables.

The @c is most common today

Regards

Pavel