Re: Implementing a new Scripting Language - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Implementing a new Scripting Language
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 1/27/2016 9:57 AM, Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:
That is a good question. ChakraCore has been open sourced recently. It
might be easier to build under Windows.
interesting.  but now we will need to write an extension for that, e.g. PL/Chakra, which brings back my original question:
are there any docs as to how to implement a new scripting language? ;)

David Fetter wrote some presentation - some years ago was popular to write own PL

source code of plpgsql is good example - it pretty simple

you have to write handler

https://github.com/petere/plsh

I am not sure you would be able to bind high performance java runtime
with the backend. There are no that many JREs, and not much of them
are good at "in-backend" operation.

Thus your question boils down to 2 possibilities:
1) You execute Lucee in some JRE that runs in the backend (frankly
speaking, I doubt it is a good way to go)
yes, that's what I had in mind.  I wasn't thinking of an embedded JRE.  TBH I didn't think there were any of those until your email.

thanks,

Igal