Re: proposal: psql: psql variable BACKEND_PID - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal: psql: psql variable BACKEND_PID
Date
List pgsql-hackers

so 18. 3. 2023 v 16:24 odesílatel Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> napsal:

On 2023-02-16 Th 23:04, Pavel Stehule wrote:

čt 16. 2. 2023 v 12:49 odesílatel Jelte Fennema <me@jeltef.nl> napsal:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 at 12:44, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> To find and use pg_backend_pid is not rocket science. But use :BACKEND_PID is simpler.

I wanted to call out that if there's a connection pooler (e.g.
PgBouncer) in the middle, then BACKEND_PID (and %p) are incorrect, but
pg_backend_pid() would work for the query. This might be an edge case,
but if BACKEND_PID is added it might be worth listing this edge case
in the docs somewhere.

good note

This patch is marked RFC, but given the comments upthread from Tom, Andres and Peter, I think it should actually be Rejected.

ok

regards

Pavel

cheers