Re: patch: bytea_agg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: patch: bytea_agg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello

2011/12/23 Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>:
> On ons, 2011-12-21 at 11:04 +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> this patch adds a bytea_agg aggregation.
>>
>> It allow fast bytea concatetation.
>
> Why not call it string_agg?  All the function names are the same between
> text and bytea (e.g., ||, substr, position, length).  It would be nice
> not to introduce arbitrary differences.

My opinion is not too strong. I don't think so using string_agg is
good name (for bytea_agg) - as minimal (and only one) reason is
different API - there is no support for delimiter. If I remember well
discussion about string_agg, where delimiter is not optimal, there is
request for immutable interface for aggregates - there was a issue
with ORDER clause. So bytea_agg is good name.

Regards

Pavel